Ten tips that will save you Gallons of Ca$h at the pump!
1. Slow Down - As you increase your speed, your fuel economy decreases exponentially. The increased drag the higher speeds put on your car can decrease your m.pg. For example in your typical family sedan every 10 mph above 65 can reduce efficiency by as much as 4 mpg. So what's the hurry? Following this will keep you from rushing back to the pump!
2. Hard Starts, and Hard Stops! - This ones a big one! Hard accelerating or hard braking can decrease fuel efficiency by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on the city streets. So by following our first step it make make this step easier to follow.
3. Proper Tire Inflation - Maintaining proper tire inflation is important since under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.4 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. At Richlonn's, your "Free Air Headquarters" we will keep them filled properly, which will help you extend your treadlife as well!
4. Remove Extra Weight - Trunk full? Backseat filled with junk? Well that extra weight takes a toll on gas mileage. As little as 100 spare pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%
5. Air Filter - Clean air filters allow for better flow in the intake system. Dirty filters harm performance and economy. Changing this can increase efficiency by as much as ten percent!
6. To A/C or not to A/C? - At lower speeds using the air conditioning is less fuel efficient than opening the windows, but the opposite at higher speeds. When you open the windows at higher speeds, drag is increased from air flowing into the car. But at lower speeds it takes more work for the car to run the A/C then to enjoy the breeze.
7. Cruise Control - Use of your vehicles cruise control maintains a constant speed making less work for your engine to speed up and slow down, thus improving efficiency and helping gas mileage.
8. Minimize Idle Time - When you are idling your car is getting zero miles to the gallon. So avoiding this whenever possible increases mpg and will save you money.
9. Proper Alignment - The pull of the car to the right or the left due to improper wheel alignment can also hinder efficiency. When a car is properly aligned it takes less energy because it doesn't need to overcome the pull. This pull needlessly burns extra gas, costing you more at the pump. Come in and mention this webpage save 10$ on an alignment!!!!
10. Avoiding Rush Hour - This one is helpful but a stretch. Many people wish they could do this but due to work schedules it makes it hard. If at all possible to do so, this will save you money and the hassle!